Monday, December 27, 2010

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

I was supposed to be at JFK right now, waiting for my plane to LA to take off and transfer me to my flight to Sydney.  It seems that mother nature wasn't a fan of this plan.  I took a train in the middle of the night from DC back to New York on Sunday to get back home before the big blizzard hit.  And hit it did.

The snow is pretty, but the downside of the storm is that the airports are crippled.  Even though the snow has stopped and the skies are blue, my flight today was one of hundreds that were cancelled.  Rebooking was a nightmare.  Originally they told me that there was no way they could get me out of New York until Friday, which would mean that I wouldn't get to Sydney until January 2 (which kind of defeats the purpose of booking a New Year's trip to Sydney).

Not ready to give up so easily, I talked to four different people at the airline until I was convinced that they had exhausted all of my possible options.  Finally, the last woman came up with something that works.  So now I am about to get on a train back to DC, where my ever-helpful parents will pick me up and let me crash until they drive me to the airport in the wee hours of the morning for a flight out of DCA tomorrow at 6 am.  From there I will stop over in Chicago and continue on to Orange County, where I will figure out how to get to LAX and then hang out in the airport for about 10 hours until my Sydney flight.  Good times all around.  But in the end I will only be getting to Australia one day late, which at this point seems like a miracle.  Provided everything goes according to plan, that is.

So basically I left DC to come to New York and watch it snow, only to go right back to DC as soon as it stopped.  With my travel luck, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Fingers crossed for a December 30th arrival in Australia...

No comments:

Post a Comment