Friday, September 23, 2011

The Dream Trip

Well, my friends, the time has finally arrived for me to embark on my dream trip. This is the trip that I first started fantasizing about back when I was plotting my exit from The Firm. Really, it was the idea of this trip that started it all and led me on my whirlwind year of seeing the world. Although I didn't initially plan it this way, I'm happy in the end that I saved the best for last.

I am heading to the Trans-Siberian Railroad. My itinerary takes me first to Beijing for a few days before boarding the train to Mongolia. There I will spend 4-5 days, including 2 nights in a traditional ger on the Mongolian steppe. After leaving Mongolia I will be on the train through Siberia for 4 nights before finally ending up in Moscow, where I will be for nearly a week.

It's hard to say which part of the trip I'm most excited about. I'm probably most interested to see Mongolia since it's so unlike any place I've ever been or may ever be again. But part of me is anxious to be back in Moscow after all this time. It's hard to believe that 13 years have passed since I spent the summer there. I always thought I would have gone back before now.

After much effort I've managed to pack light. I have no idea if I've packed the right things or warm enough clothes, but I'll find out soon enough. Life on the train should be interesting - I'm really hoping that I get to meet some fun and interesting new people. More than any of my trips I've taken in the past year, I really don't know what to expect. And that makes it very exciting.

I'll be off the grid more than usual on this trip. There will be days on end where I have no connection to the outside world and my phone won't work once I leave Beijing. I'm kind of looking forward to disconnecting, though. I can't remember the last time I did since technology is so prevalent these days. Ideally I'll have an internet connection at the major stops along the way and can check in with the world and update this blog.

And now I'm going to settle in for a good sleep and cross my fingers that I have good travel luck this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment