Friday, October 15, 2010

Back to life, back to reality

I've been safely settled in back at home in Brooklyn for the last day and a half, and jet lag has started to rear its ugly head.  Yesterday I thought I was fine, but today the adjustment back has been a bit more rough.

My flight back was, of course, not smooth sailing.  I was supposed to fly from Vienna to Warsaw, with a layover of an hour and 40 minutes before my flight to Newark.  But Vienna had one last treat in store for me.  I didn't see a single cloud for the entire 5 days I was there, but the morning I left was completely cloudy and foggy with minimal visibility.  Our flight finally took off 2 hours later than scheduled, conveniently touching down in Warsaw 5 minutes after my flight to Newark was scheduled to take off.  I was fairly certain I'd be spending an unexpected day in Warsaw.

I rushed to the slowest security line ever (there was additional security for flights to the US because security for the flight from Austria to Poland was practically nonexistent), and then to wait in an equally slow passport control line.  Once I was finally cleared, I ran to the gate to find that the flight to Newark miraculously hadn't left yet.  I walked on under the "final call" sign as they essentially closed the airplane door behind me.  I still have no idea why that flight left an hour late, but I'm thankful.

My flight on the Polish airline was an interesting experience.  I think I was one of about 6 people on the plane who spoke English, which did not stop everyone from speaking Polish to me and assuming I understood.  And like a good Polish grandmother, they fed us - a lot.  I even got a meal on the one hour flight from Vienna to Warsaw.  The opening safety video was also a little different than what I was used to.  The most entertaining part might have been when we were informed that we were not allowed to use walkie talkies or remote controlled cars on the plane...


But all in all I have to give LOT Polish Airline a positive review - the service was great and there was more than the usual amount of leg room.

And now that I'm back, I need to figure out what my normal post-work life will be.  Unfortunately, I have no clue what the answer is just yet.  In the meantime I have approximately 2000 vacation pictures to sort through...

No comments:

Post a Comment