Sunday, May 15, 2011

Poznan

After Gdansk, I headed south to Poznan, the town of my ancestors.  The train ride passed through beautiful Polish countryside, with field afer field of yellow flowers.



I've spent the last four days in Poznan.  It is beautiful here.  The old town square is the prettiest I've seen yet, with colorful row houses and a gorgeous town hall.






Also, like everywhere else in Poland, there are beautiful churches.  I trekked out to the cathedral on an island just oustide of the old town, supposedly the most impressive church around.




While the cathedral was beautiful, my favorite church was a less assuming place just off the old town square.  The interior was just stunning.  I could have sat and stared at it for hours.



Last night there was an almost festival-like atmosphere in the old town square.  I don't know if it was actually some event that I didn't know about, but there were people everywhere, some in costumes.  There was cotton candy and free museum admission.  It was a fitting last night for my visit here.

And now my time in Poznan  has come to an end.  I'm very excited to get to Krakow, after a one-night stop over in Czestochowa.

I do have to say that this trip would be easier if I spoke the language.  While most of the people here can speak English, they don't do it unless they have to.  And there are far, far fewer tourists here than most places I've visited, so I feel a bit starved for real conversation.  Still, it's all very beautiful and worth the trip.

It also doesn't help that I have what appears to be the worst guidebook to Poland ever written.  Thankfully, I have a separate book about Krakow, so hopefully there will be less trial and error involved...



No comments:

Post a Comment