Saturday, November 1, 2014

Road Trip Day One: Virginia to Lexington, Kentucky. And I'm possibly cursed.

Well, my road trip is not off to the smoothest start. It's day two, and I'm already onto my second rental car. But more on that in a bit. First, the good stuff.

For this first leg of the trip, I had a traveling companion to help ease my way in. We headed out from my parents' house outside Washington, D.C. toward Lexington, Kentucky.



Our first stop, apropos of Halloween, was Lake Shawnee abandoned amusement park near Princeton, West Virginia. The park was built in 1926 on land that was the site of a Native American burial ground and multiple child murders. After the park opened, strange events started occurring, resulting in several mysterious deaths of children until the park eventually closed. Today it remains as a tourist attraction, and the friendly owners were kind enough to let us in even though we were there outside of typical business hours. Whether or not the place is actually haunted is open to debate, although after the rest of our day, I might be more open to arguments on the subject now.




After leaving Lake Shawnee, we continued on our route, stopping at another Halloween attraction in West Virginia, a house with 3,000 carved jack o' lanterns.




Having gotten our fill of Halloween goodness, we continued on toward our final destination of Lexington. It was largely uneventful until we were about 15 miles outside the city, when the sunroof in our car spontaneously exploded and shards of glass rained down on our heads. After recovering from the initial shock and terror, I found my way to a gas station to investigate the damage. There was glass everywhere in car, but no sign of anything that caused the explosion. Having no other choice, I continued on to our hotel - in the rain, of course - while my friend called the rental car company to figure out how to go about getting a new car. We also did some Googling, and apparently exploding sunroofs are a thing that actually happens. I still think it might have had something to do with driving on the Native American burial ground. I grew up watching Poltergeist, I know how it works.

Long story short, we eventually got a new car in Lexington this morning (where there were snow flurries!), after much confusion and my having to  explain why I was "returning" my car without a full tank of gas, which naturally was the rental car agent's greatest concern.

Here's hoping that this was the one and only truly crazy moment of my trip and it's all uphill from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment