Sunday, November 16, 2014

Road Trip Days 15-17: Colorado

Leaving Utah, I started my climb up the winding highways into Colorado. The scenery was beautiful as I made my way to Vail, Colorado. As it turned out, I didn't really get to see much of Vail, because Mother Nature had other plans for me. The snow started shortly after I got to Vail and continued through the night. Happy to be off the roads, I just set up camp at my hotel's restaurant for the night. Snow is always beautiful until you have to drive in it.


The next morning, I had to dust off my Wisconsin driving skills and battle through some nasty roads to Denver. My rental car definitely wasn't made for that.


Thankfully it was a relatively short drive. Although I did learn the hard way that there is apparently a huge shortage of windshield wiper fluid in the state of Colorado, and I of course ran out in the middle of the drive when I needed it most. Eventually I tracked some down, after some significant effort.

Denver was a great break from the trip. I spent two nights with an old friend from college, and it was the first time since Nashville that I spent two nights in a row in the same bed and had a day when I didn't drive. We spent most of our time just relaxing and catching up, and it was wonderful. We did make a visit to  downtown Denver and treated ourselves to some delicious Voodoo Doughnuts, among other things.



 

I also go to do some much-needed laundry. The insane thing was that I found two pieces of glass from my broken sunroof in the clothes that I'd been wearing for the last two weeks. I'm really not sure how that's possible.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm heading north, where it's sure to be frigid but at least there's supposed to be no snow. Fingers crossed.



No comments:

Post a Comment