Friday, November 14, 2014

Road Trip Days 11 and 12: The City of Angels

No one ever needs to worry that I might consider moving to Los Angeles. Driving here is the worst thing I've ever made myself do. They should seriously consider using driving withing 100 miles of LA as a form of torture. And I didn't even hit it at bad times, or so I'm told.

My first stop was the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, the burial place of a number of random celebrities. My purpose in going was to visit the graves of Johnny and Dee Dee Ramone, which I really enjoyed.


My reward for making it LA in one piece was to meet an old friend for a California rite of passage, In-N-Out Burger. I left the ordering to him, and the results were maybe not worth the traffic, but pretty darn great.



It was also nice to catch up after many years, not to mention to speak to someone who wasn't a stranger for the first time in a week.

I proceeded on to Santa Monica, my home for the next two nights and the official end point of Route 66. I wandered Santa Monica Pier before calling it a night to sleep off the stress of LA driving.




The next day I did some sightseeing, once again battling LA traffic.


LA is fine to visit, but the driving just kind of ruins it. Obviously I like driving, I'm driving around the country for a whole month. But the driving there is different. It's aggressive and constantly stressful, and you feel like you're seconds away from an accident at any given time. At least they have seriously fantastic Mexican food to make up for it. And I'm told the weather is great, although 1 of my 2 days there was cloudy and the one other time I've been there it rained. Long story short, I'm not a big fan of LA. Time to start heading back east.







No comments:

Post a Comment