Saturday, November 15, 2014

Road Trip Days 13 and 14: Nevada and Utah

I made it out of LA better than expected. I set my sights for Las Vegas, with one final Route 66 detour on my way. Even though the Route 66 part of my trip was official done, there was one thing in California that I really wanted to see but had missed because of my detour to Joshua Tree. Thankfully, it was right on the route to Vegas.

Just outside Barstow, California is the quirky and utterly delightful Elmer's Bottle Tree Ranch.



When I stopped by, I met Elmer himself, the creator of every piece in this fascinating bottle forest. He was working on a new installation that involved a face cutout for people to take pictures and he measured me to factor into his calculation of how tall the woman's face cutout should be. It's such a bizarre idea, but this place is just so charming that it really made my day.

Leaving California on a final positive note, I headed on into Nevada. Before arriving in Las Vegas for the night, I made a detour to Valley of Fire State Park. I still don't understand what is necessary for something to qualify as a National Park as opposed to simply a State Park, but it seemed to me that Valley of Fire had it. The swirling red rocks were unlike anything I'd ever seen.


After my brief detour, I made it to Vegas. I decided to stay in the old downtown Fremont Street district, because I figured I'd been to the Strip enough times and had never seen the other part of Vegas. I always forget how weird and fake Vegas is until I get there. Fremont Street was just as odd as the Strip, but condensed into a three block stretch. But still no one does neon better than Vegas.




Leaving Vegas on my continued journey west, I headed into Utah. Mostly known for Mormonism, Utah has an endless number of amazing National Parks. I'd been to a number when I traveled out west several years ago, but I remember Arches National Park being particularly remarkable, so I decided to stop by again. It was every bit as magical as I remembered.




And now I continue to head east as I wonder how this latest polar vortex will impact my travels. Thankfully I packed that winter jacket I almost didn't bring....

No comments:

Post a Comment